Friday, April 29, 2011

A student’s view of my school

Teaching can often be a frustrating, thankless job.  Stuff like this is what keeps me coming back; here’s an excerpt from something a student wrote today about the impact our school has had on him (I’ve corrected spelling errors):

I have enjoyed these three months I have spent at [school].  I think this place is truly where I belong.  I understand I have motivation issues but I believe that these three months I have learned and grown more than I have at any other of my two high schools I attended.  I promise next year to overachieve and be that person.  I thought I was such a loser just a year ago.  Now I understand the importance of school and the great things that can come out of it.

This kid’s story is not unique.  I love being part of a place where we can help students to see themselves in new ways.  It can change everything for them. 

A person’s identity and self-concept have so much to do with what they decide to do with their lives and the choices they make.  If you can help someone to see themselves in a different light, to develop a new identity – you can change their world.  You can destroy it or you can help them realize it’s brighter than they ever imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment